Skip to main content

Priorities

WARNING! More "Beyond" than "Blushing"....

There's just something fantastic about January and new beginnings. Maybe it's the short days and long nights that provoke a sense of urgency when it comes to developing a plan, or organizing, or putting into practice those new year resolutions and intentions. Being an eleventh hour warrior, I appreciate the sentiments of January and an opportunity for reflection and new beginnings. It's no exaggeration that every year for the last decade (plus) I have made a new year's resolution to not go to bed with my makeup on. That instead, I would add to my night time routine a time to take really good care of my skin. That would comprise of a good face wash, toner, moisturizer, and I'm sure some kind of eye serum. I even told myself that once or twice a week I would also implement a home facial including exfoliating, a nice steam session, followed by a mask and then a night time moisturizer. Good plan, right? Easy enough, right? Yeah! Why oh why can I not stay committed to this plan!! I've defaulted 90% of the time to using a quick makeup removing wipe while laying in bed calculating how many hours/minutes of sleep I'm going to get before my first alarm goes off. It's pathetic.

In Lisa's perfect world, On a typical workday I would wake up at 6am, snuggle with my pups, shower, put on my makeup, get dressed, leave my humble abode, stop for a vanilla latte, and get to work by 7:15ish to give me a few minutes to chit-chat with my co-workers before going into my first meeting at 7:30am. I would then be off work by 3ish, stop at Trader Joes for that night's dinner, arrive back at home by 4pm, snuggle with my pups, answer some emails, check out my social media accounts, prep/cook/eat dinner with my man and little man (when he's off work), catch up on the day over a nice glass of wine or cocktail by the fire, and/or take the pups for a walk, watch some TV while cleaning the kitchen and picking up, and then head up stairs by 8 or 9pm for my nighttime routine which would consist of everything I mentioned above, and finally lay down and fall fast asleep by 9:30pm. Sounds like a decent plan, right? I think so however my life is super busy and chaotic including restless nights, rushed mornings, late afternoons into evening at work, rushing to get home by 6:30 or 7pm two to three nights a week, resulting in being too tired or busy to cook but instead picking up dinner or simply being content with cereal, or toast with PB, or an apple and Funyuns for dinner (not kidding!). Still I always find time for cuddling with the pups, a quick check in with the hubby, maybe some TV while taking care of any unfinished work "stuff" from the day. My hubby and I are typically both exhausted by the end of the day and are ready to hit the sack by 9ish. I get ready for bed by changing and quickly grabbing a makeup wipe while crawling into bed praying that I will fall asleep quickly and get a restful night sleep.

With many long talks with my husband, and several tears of exhaustion, I have identified the problem. Time management and PRIORITIES are all out of whack. I'm working on it. Hard. Over the last six months my priorities have been re-evaluated and I have made some changes with some great results. Obviously time with my family is crucial. Whether it's cooking/eating together, running errands together, completing chores together--I just want to be together. I want to talk; I want to listen. Aside from my most important relationships being my number one priority next would have to be my health and wellness. I'm falling short in this area. Work definitely comes before my health and wellness and one of my new year's intentions was to change this. Starting with a better night time routine--taking better care of my skin and getting a good nights rest!

Now on to the "Blushing"....

For years I have LOVED doing at home facials. I cannot even remember how long I have done this but it has been at least a decade and a half!! When I'm not reaching for a MAC wipe (or Clinique make up wipe OR Philosophy make up wipe) I actually have a great routine.

**side note on Makeup remover wipes. I love the MAC brand the best and now that they have come out with a "gentle" version that doesn't make my eyes water--I'm doing a happy dance. The wipes cleanse, tone, and moisturize. love them. LOVE THEM!!

Back to my full service skincare routine:

First, my hair goes back in a ponytail with a headband in place to keep my hair out of the way. I typically start with a makeup wipe remover followed by a gentle facial wash. Lately I've been using Peter Thomas Roth anti-aging cleansing gel. It smells good and my face doesn't feel dry or overly tight after washing. I might need to re-wipe my eyes after I was my face if all the mascara isn't removed with my facial cleaner. While I'm washing my face, I put a pot of water on the stove to heat up to a gentle simmer. After I'm done washing the makeup, sweat, pollutants, (sometimes dried tears....JKNR) off--I prep for a steam session to open my pores for a deeper clean. After my pot of water comes to a subtle simmer I add some lose tea to the pot--maybe a quarter of a cup. I always use something with lavender or chamomile in it. Both are soothing and relaxing. I recently bought a night-time tea pack from Teavana that "Chamomile Bloom" and "Lavender Dreams." But are AWESOME!! I put the pot of seeping tea on my counter, grab a big towel and drape the towel over my head as I lean over the pot. Essentially I am creating a steam tent. I breath slowly, take in the calming aromas from the tea, and just spend that time quieting my mind and praying. I probably spend more time then I need to in this meditative state--maybe 15 minutes. Once done with the steam session I pat my skin dry and reach for a mask.

Picking a mask is so hard when you have a lot of options (which I always do). Origins probably makes my favorite masks. Whether it be a Rose Clay retexturing mask or Active-Charcoal mask to cleanse out the pores even further. I also LOVE LOVE LOVE their "Drink Up--Intensive" overnight mask. I also really like Cucumber Gel mask by Peter Thomas Roth for hydration or the Rose Petal mask by Fresh is BOMB!! (Eventually I will get my hands on a Glam Glow mask but as of now I haven't). The tightness that happens as a mask is drying feels so good. And I always try not to smile, talk, laugh, or make any sort of facial expressions but I fail EVERY time! Hahahaha! Another 15 minutes later it's time to remove the mask with a washcloth and warm water and then a quick pat dry.

The last few steps are pretty simple and fast. I'll take a cotton pad and a toner--usually rose water is my go to. I've used a simple basic one that I have picked up at an Indian grocery store (I don't know why this rose water is so amazing but it is!) or I have used Mario Badescu's rose water toner forever. I recently heard they came out with a Lavender toner. I need to get my hands on it ASAP!! A quick wipe all over my face, neck, and decollate with my toner drenched cotton pad and a minute to dry and my face is prepped and ready for a moisturizer and eye serum.

For the past few months I have been using Night-A-Mins from Origins. I'm literally obsessed with how soft and silky this moisturizer makes my skin feel within minutes. AND it smells good. I'm huge on scents. I like my products to smell good. You guys, I honestly LOVE, sincerely, this moisturizer. (BTW, been using Peter Thomas Roth Rose stem cell moisturizer every morning and it's everything!). Once my moisturizer dries (about a minute or so) I will reach for whatever eye serum I grab first. I'm testing out a few different products currently. One from Origins, one from Bare Minerals, and I just picked up another from Murad. All good. And all smell good and do not leave a gooey residue on or around my eyes. Face and eyes are perfectly cleansed and hydrated and feeling super good. A quick swipe of Rosebud Salve on my lips to keep them soft and moisturized and my facial routine is complete.

Done! And if you read to the end then I am both thankful and humbled that you care so much about what I have to say. I am truly blessed.

What are your skincare routines? Would love to know what tips, tricks, and favorite products you are using!!

#BeyondBlushingBlog #BlushingBeauties #Priorities #MACCosmetics #GentlyOffWipes #PeterThomasRoth #AntiAgingCleansingGel #RoseStemcellMoisturizer #Origins #NightAMins #OriginsCharcoalMask #RosebudSalve #MarioBadescu #RoseWaterToner #Teavana  #FreshRosePetalMask

Comments

Casey said…
Love all the tips you share!! I've never done a steam tent I definitely want to give it a try!!
beyond blushing said…
Thank you!! And yes, a nice herbal steam tent feels so good!!!

Popular posts from this blog

He thought I was 24!!!!

I am literally weeks away from turning 30 years old and to tell you the truth….very excited about it. I’m not all caught up in feeling like I’m getting old and all that hoopla. I’ ve always thought I’ ve looked young for my age and have enjoyed growing up and maturing. I was taken aback recently when somebody I see on a regular basis due to work related duties commented on me being the same age as they were after telling me they were 24 years old….I was shocked. I was like, “honey, you’re just a baby!” and he commented back about how we were the same age and I was like, “NO……I’m hitting 30 here!” He was really surprised. Well I thought about this little fortunate exchange of words for a while. What about me make people think I am younger than what I actually am? I’ ve always been on more of the mature side. My best friends are all older than me….even by 8 or more years. So it’s not me acting immature that makes me look young. I’ ve had two kids so I don’t have that cute hip body an

ELLIS FAAS: "ONLY TESTED ON SUPERMODELS!"

The last year of my life has been completely consumed by my commitment and dedication to continue my education in obtaining my teaching credential and masters in education. I honestly was unsure what to expect since it had been so many years since I had done my undergrad work--and I'm not going to lie--life has been crazy hectic! I didn't really expect that I would miss THIS industry as much as I have in this past year! I've been privileged in the past to pursue my passion of doing makeup, researching, and being hands on with cosmetic, fragrance, and skincare lines,...and then writing about it all--BONUS! So, I am very thankful when I am introduced to lines that are new to me and I get the opportunity to try them out. This is where ELLIS FAAS comes in.... What a cool line of cosmetics from ELLIS FAAS! From the sleek packaging, amazing product, and very cool developer behind the line--I am truly impressed at this very high class, top quality, and functional line. I'm no

You're Not Too Late....

Straight from the PR desk at Urban Decay: Win a necklace from Tom Binns for Walt Disney Signature, valued at $875, AND an Alice in Wonderland Book of Shadows. 10 runners up will also receive the Alice in Wonderland Book of Shadows. Enter to win NOW!!!!! http://www.urbandecay.com/promo/contest/Alice/index.cfm So excited for this opportunity to be able to win this awesome necklace and of course that awesome Alice in Wonderland palette! Good luck to the rest of you too!